These recent years, Bali is struggling to handle the environmental problems. More waste to manage, more needs of water, and more energy needed, meanwhile the needs of people in Bali are increasing year by year.
After applying a regulation about single use plastic, the government is unstoppable to protect the environment and the beauty of this island.
Good news coming from the Governor of Bali, I Wayan Koster. In the opening ceremony of Bali’s Infrastructure Exhibition (14/8), the Governor stated that the government will make Bali more independent in terms of the source of energy and to be more sustainable and eco-friendly.
The total of energy needed for Bali is around 1,200 MW, meanwhile, Bali has only 800 MW and the other 380 MW is coming from the power plant in Paiton, East Java. To replace the gap, Bali will add a new power plant using eco-friendly, clean, and sustainable energy.
“Not only for the electricity but also the water problems. Bali is facing a lack of water sources. The government, together with the related organization, are making the masterplan to handle this challenge.” Said Koster in his opening speech.
Knowing this, SCOPE ASIA can not be more excited. This vision is in line with SCOPE ASIA’s, and it is exactly what SCOPE ASIA is planning to do in Indonesia, starting with Bali.
Community-Based Waste Management System
SCOPE ASIA, together with Udayana Community Development Program (UCDP) Universitas Udayana, participated in the exhibition. This event was held from 14th-23rd of August 2019 in The Art Center to celebrate the 74th Indonesian Independence Day on August 17th and the 61st Birthday of Bali Province in 14th of August.
In this event, SCOPE ASIA and UCDP Universitas Udayana introduced the Concept of Community Based Waste Management System to the public.
"There is a lot of urban household' waste in centralized sites in Bali. This waste generates multiple problems, such as traffic congestion, creates an unpleasant smell, change biodiversity, and toxic liquid pollution and gasses." Said Prof. I Made Supartha Utama, the director of UCDP Universitas Udayana.
To tackle this challenge, SCOPE ASIA and UCDP Universitas Udayana will work together creating the smart communities in Bali. The communities will be able to manage their household wastes, transform the waste into usable products and clean energy, then use or sell the products to generates money.
"The objective of the Community Based Waste Management System is to give the communities in Bali a real solution to managing their waste which can benefit their health and also the environment." Continue Made.
Based on the recent research, it reveals that every day Bali produces 4,281 tons of waste or 1,5 million tons yearly. From this amount of waste, only 48% is managed while the other 52% is not managed yet. In the other hands, Bali is not only facing the un-managed household’ waste, but also the lack of water sources.
“So, we collaborate with SCOPE ASIA because they can help us in Bali. This moment, there’s some clean drinking problem (in Bali).“ Said Made
The smart communities will not only focused on household’ waste management, but also for the water and farmland treatment. By using SCOPE ASIA’s water purification system to treat the raw water becoming the high-quality drinking water, and using biobox to treat the household’ waste producing the biogas and bio-fertilizer. The bio-fertilizer produced by biobox will be used to treat the farmlands producing organic fruits, vegetables, flowers, ornamental plants, herbs, etc.
Community-Based Waste Management System seems to be the perfect answer to the challenges in Bali. We hope that this program will run successfully with support from every level.
Text: Tia Fitria
Video: Tia Fitria
PT. SCOPE ASIA Internasional,
Jl. Hangtuah No. 58, Sanur,
Denpasar Selatan, Denpasar,
Bali - Indonesia 80227
Distribution Partner in Timor Leste :
DFC Electronics LDA,
Rua de Ai Meti Laran
Agrolitas Unipessoal LDA,
Aldeia T.A.T Bairopite Lavandaria.
Rua Beco Rusa Fuik III, Suco Bairopite
Sub-Distrito Dom Aleixo
Representated by: Regio SR da Cruz Salu